National Statistics Officer
National Statistics Officer
The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations is seeking competent and motivated individual to join our National Information and Early Warning System (NIEWS) on Food Security Team at the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries (MAF).
The National Statics Officer will be under the overall supervision of the Chief Technical Adviser (CTA) and Statistician consultants. The National Statistician will be responsible for assisting in the establishment, maintenance and management of the National Information and Early Warning System (NIEWS) database, in close collaboration with the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries (MAF), Timor Leste.
Duty Station: MAF Statistics Department, Dili, Timor Leste
Duration: 18 months with 3 months probation
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Consolidate the existing NIEWS database into a socio-economic and nutrition database in coordination with the others project components to generate socio-economic and nutrition information (population number, gender, nutrition indices, livelihood information, commodity prices, etc.) ;
· Assist in the development and installation of NIEWS database systems at national and district MAF offices for the transmission and management of electronic data;
· To assess the SLMS data collection system and propose improvement if any it is needed and to integrate the SLMS information into the socio-economic and nutrition database of the project;
· Manage and maintain the NIEWS integrated database and ensure its smooth performance;
· To assist in the national statistics exercises for improving crop statistics from the field such as crop cutting, crop area and yield estimates;
· Assist the statistician and database experts in training and other relevant activities;
· Assist the Agro-meteorological and Remote Sensing in the development of the crop yield forecasting models.
· assist in the set up and maintenance of a website for the posting of NIEWS bulletins and reports;
· Prepare user manuals and address users’ queries
· prepare an end-of-assignment report describing the work undertaken, progress towards achieving assignment objectives with conclusions and recommendations;
· A University degree on statistics or related fields from a well recognized and reputable university.
· Proven experience in statistics, databases and information systems
· Experience in training and coaching staff in operating food security information and early warning system
· Proven capacity building skills and able to transfer skills in a limited time.
· Working knowledge on food security, nutrition or agriculture.
· Experience working with the government staff
· Fluency in the English language is mandatory
· A Timorese National
How to Apply?
Please submit your letter of application together with CV including academic qualifications documents.
All applications should be submitted to MarrieAnn.Merza@fao.org or submit to FAO Office located inside the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries (MAF) compound, Comoro.
The closing date for application is 14 December 2012.
FAO is an equal opportunities employer, eligible female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be short-listed on a regular basis and we may offer this post before the closing date.