ICT Systems and Network Support Officer (OPG/Timor-Leste)
Terms of Reference
Post title: ICT – Systems and Network Support
Duty Station: Dili, Office of the Prosecutor General
Duration: 1 year, with possible extension
Expected Start date: September 2011
Under the supervision of the Justice System Programme ICT Specialist and in close consultation with the Chief of IT from the Office of the Prosecutor General (OPG), the ICT Officer will provide support to the IT infra-structure, systems and the OPG Case Management System on behalf of UNDP.
Scope of Work:
- Provide support services related to office applications, computer operations, email/Internet/Intranet/chat systems, VoIP System, special software set up, training and troubleshooting for all the computer users within the JSP and OPG.
- Provide technical support for all offices and users within the OPG Network in the districts, troubleshooting problems as they arise and designing long term solutions.
- Provide support to the implementation of the Case Management System for the OPG, including servers configuration, deployment, administration and training of national staff.
- Report to the IT Coordinator any client needs including hardware, software, backup, anti-virus, cabling, switches, UPS, IP Phones, servers, desktops, scanners, laptops, routers, firewall, modems, printers and spare parts.
- Provide mentoring and technical assistance for the national IT staff on systems, equipment, administration, installation, maintenance and upgrading.
- Responsible for maintenance and administration of the LAN hardware, software and peripherals; including IT infrastructure, website operations, email, etc.
- Enhance the existing support procedures, providing manuals, documentation of best practices, configurations, support and troubleshooting of network, software and hardware used by the Justice Sector in the districts.
- Produce documentations and diagrams of new network and systems installations and update/maintain existing documentation and diagrams.
- Manage the asset inventory with documentation and updates for new acquisitions, loans and discarded equipment.
Provide training and transfer knowledge of support, systems and network administration to national IT staff in:
- Software installation, maintenance and upgrading (servers and workstations), including the compilation of IT Standards & Procedures Guideline for all sites within the Justice Network.
- Hardware installation, maintenance and upgrading (servers and workstations), including physical installation of equipment, configuration and testing.
- Recommend suitable IT solutions for system expansion, specifying equipment and software and defining administration procedures for the JSP development, staging laboratory and data center.
- Participate in the overall design of networks and systems architecture of all remote sites and the interconnection with the Dili Data Center, GoTL operated backbone and Internet.
- Routine network and servers’ administration, maintenance and troubleshooting, systems documentation, database supervision, server backup, maintenance and updating of anti-virus protection software.
- The primary goal is to be available to provide effective and comprehensive consultation and assistance to all users within the JSP and OPG. That includes:
- The Case Management System for OPG supported and well-functioning.
- Resolve any problems to the best of their ability and notify the designated group within the IT department when a referral is needed.
- Deployment of new Systems, Network and Infra-Structure to the Justice Sector supported.
- Network documentation, diagrams and manuals produced and up to date.
- Capacity development of the IT staff in Systems and Network Administration.
- IT Staff able to manage and troubleshoot the Case Management System and related infra-structure.
- Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related fields is desirable.
- Minimum of 5 years experience with Computer Systems, Network Support and Linux Servers at complex sites (heterogeneous clients and servers, multiple Internet servers including fileservers, web, email, Proxy and DNS).
- Experience designing, implementing and maintaining enterprise level data networks, including cabling, setting up network equipment (switches, routers, access points), troubleshooting and management using SNMP and protocol analyzers.
- Great ability to identify solutions and troubleshooting for computer hardware, software, network and systems in general.
- Experience with deployment and administration of Linux servers in heterogeneous environments (Windows, UNIX and/or Linux), including file servers, email servers, Proxies, antivirus Servers & Clients, web servers, DHCP, DNS and database servers.
- Experience with Virtualization Technologies.
- Experience in Information Security implementation and management.
- Experience as a mentor/trainer in the IT field.
- Knowledge and experience with general network support systems such VPN, VoIP, Routing, Wireless Network, VSAT, etc.
- Experience in programming of web-based applications (Drupal, PHP, MySQL) would be an asset.
- Oral and written English and Portuguese.
- Tetum language skills desirable. Willingness to learn is essential.
Personal characteristics considered advantageous:
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to motivate people.
- Ability and interest in training and supporting less experienced colleagues.
- Ability to work and communicate in a team environment with good problem solving and organizational skills
- Capacity to deal with different cultural backgrounds and language barriers.
- Open-minded and able to make proper consideration for appropriate response.
- Capacity to state ideas in more than one way, demonstrating creativity and flexibility.
Applications (cv+cover letter) should be sent to email@example.com by May 25th 2011
Carla Vendinha Ferreira e Ferreira dos Santos
Adviser Liaison Officer
Justice System Programme
United Nations Development Programme